A cautionary tale about thinking that the grass will be greener.


So I picked tailoring/skinning for my professions. Tailoring to make gear and bags, and skinning mostly for money.I was close to lvl 60 when Dire Maul came out and I realized that arcane crystals on my server jumped in price to 25-30+g.I was making ok money from skinning, but nothing to write home about. Plus, I was getting tired of skinning holding me up. I'd frequently be in a dungeon as the only skinner, having to strike a delicate balance between skinning, drinking, and keeping up with the group. Fuck if they want to wait for some rando to skin some thick leathers, and I don't blame them.So I decided to drop skinning and take up mining, especially since I was considering dropping tailoring for engineering soon.I started power-level mining and have even found around 8-9 rich thorium veins since getting to 275 mining. But no arcane crystals yet.Fast forward to yesterday, when I am doing my first UBRS run. Finkle's Skinner drops from The Beast. All 9 of us roll greed. Then, I ask if anyone is going to skin.Surely out of 9 people, someone must be a skinner, right? And that person only greeded on Finkle's because they had it already? Surely we're not going to just leave this pristine hide right there rotting away?cricketsEveryone moves away from The Beast's room and just ignores the corpse. We move on and finish the dungeon.If I had kept skinning, I could have skinned it uncontested and gotten at least 200-300g, maybe more.That's not the end of it though. Later that same day, I do a PUG Onyxia, have just gotten my attunement from said UBRS.We down her on the second try, with 30ish people. There's only one person who can skin Ony, so he does and gets 4 scales, keeping a few and giving the rest to the guild that organized the PUG. If I had kept skinning, I'd have been able to roll (with decent 50/50 odds) to skin Ony and keep the scales, which are also pretty valuable.It's safe to say I'm having buyer's remorse with mining.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen